Any German Studies major (or candidate) who demonstrates academic excellence is eligible to participate in German Studies Departmental Honors. Departmental Honors requires students to complete 20 credits of upper division German Studies coursework as ad hoc honors courses. For Spring 2021, applications (online) must be completed and submitted by Monday, April 5 @ 9:00am.
For the most up-to-date information on deadlines and the application process, visit the Honors Program Ad-Hoc page.
BENEFITS OF GERMAN STUDIES HONORS
- Individualized study and the opportunity to work closely with an instructor and topic
- Acquire more in-depth knowledge of the culture and history of German-speaking countries and Europe
- No additional credits / courses are required, as this is an “ad hoc” honors program
- Successful completion = Distinction in German Studies on the transcript
SOME EXAMPLES OF RECENT HONORS COURSE PROJECTS:
- (GERM 311) Performance of Schubert’s Lieder and in-class presentation
- (GERM 411) Essay on film adaptations of texts read in class
- (GERM 423) Translation of a work of contemporary literature and accompanying essay
IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR THE PROGRAM:
- Students must have an overall GPA of at least 3.3;
- Students must have a GPA in German Studies of 3.5;
- Students must have completed German 101 through 203, or the equivalent.
During the first week of the quarter the student will locate an instructor teaching that quarter who is willing to permit the student to take the instructor's course for ad hoc honors. Student and instructor must agree on a project to be completed that quarter.
Contact Honors Advisor Kye Terrasi (email@example.com) with any questions.
|By…||You must have…|
|Monday, Apr 5 @ 9:00am||Submitted a complete application for any ad hoc Honors projects happening this quarter|
|Wednesday, Apr 7 @ 5:00pm||Received a confirmation email stating that your adviser (Honors Program or Departmental) has approved or denied your application|
|Monday, Apr 12 @ 9:00am||Received a confirmation email stating that your course instructor approved or denied your application|
|Tuesday, Apr 13 @ 9:00am||Submitted any revisions for an ad hoc Honors project denied by either your adviser or your instructor|
|Thursday, Apr 15 @ 9:00am||Received adviser approval for any revisions made to an application that was initially denied.|
|Monday, Apr 19 @ 9:00am||Received instructor approval for any revisions made to an application that was initially denied.|
|Friday of Finals Week||Completed your ad hoc Honors project|
|Tuesday, Jun 15 @ 5:00pm||Received confirmation that your instructor submitted the final evaluation|